Tortilla Soup & Salad with Caesar Dressing
Tortilla Soup & Salad With Caesar Dressing
makes 4 servings
4 whole wheat or corn tortillas (depending on your preference)
1 (16 oz.) can whole corn, do not drain
1 (16 oz.) can red beans, do not drain
2 (16 oz.) cans Mexican style stewed tomatoes, do not drain
3 C. vegetable broth
1/3 C. salsa
2 tsp. ground cumin
1 clove garlic, minced
½ C. yellow or red onion, diced
sea salt & pepper to taste
1. Combine all of the above ingredients in a large pot and bring to a boil. Lower heat to a simmer, covering slightly, for 30 minutes.
2. Toast tortillas by placing them into a 325F oven for 5-10 minutes or until crispy.
3. Roughly chop tortillas and sprinkle on top of soup once you’ve served them in individual bowls. Serve with Caesar salad.
4. To make the Caesar salad, break up romaine lettuce into bite sized pieces and place in a large bowl. Toss with Caesardressing and top with homemade croutons (recipe below).
makes about 1 cup
1 bunch romaine lettuce, rinsed and patted dry
5 slices whole wheat bread, cut into 1” cubes
2 Tb. Extra-virgin olive oil
1 tsp. dried thyme
4. Bake for 12-15 minutes, turning half-way through to ensure even baking.
Have you signed up for the FREE 14-Day Makeover Meals challenge yet? It’s 2 weeks of healthy meals designed to help you get back on the right track. Kid-tested and family-approved!