The BEST Vegan Sugar Cookies & Easy Vegan Sugar Cookie Frosting
When I say The BEST Vegan Sugar Cookies I mean it! This is a childhood recipe from my mom who got it from a neighbor who was notorious for her amazing kitchen creations. Apparently, she didn’t give up recipes easily so this one is out of the vault now!
I use “flax eggs” instead of eggs. Most vegan sugar cookie recipes I’ve come across use EnerG egg replacers but I like using super healthy flax seeds whenever possible. The great thing is that you’d never know I used it-these cookies taste just like the real deal. Even Santa would approve!
The BEST Vegan Sugar Cookies
makes 24-28 cookies, depending on size
1 1/4 C. non-dairy butter, softened (I like Earth Balance)
1 C. sugar
1 egg replacer (use either EnerG or “flax egg” = 1 Tb. ground flax seeds + 3 Tb. warm water
2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
4 C. flour
1 tsp. baking powder (aluminum-free)
1. Preheat oven to 350F.
2. In small cup, mix together ground flax seeds and water to make flax egg. Set aside.
3. In large bowl, mix together butter and sugar until fluffy using electric beaters.
Beat in flax egg and vanilla.
4. Using a large wooden spoon, stir in baking powder and flour, first adding 2 cups, then gradually adding in the last two cups as you continue to stir. The dough will seem a bit dry at first but keep stirring and it will soften up. If you’re really struggling with it, just add a touch more water.
(Although I haven’t needed to yet.)
5. Cover and chill dough for 1 hour.
6. Roll dough out onto floured flat surface to 1/4″ thick.
7. Bake on greased cookie sheet for 8-10 minutes. (I like mine soft so I remove them from the oven right at the 8 minute mark!)
Remove from cookie sheet and place onto cooling rack or the like.
8. Be sure to cool completely before frosting.
And if you’re using sprinkles only, be sure to add them before you bake!
Tip: You could easily double the recipe and freeze half the dough for another time. Or better yet, freeze it into a “log” shape, put some curly ribbons on the end and give it as a Holiday gift for another family to roll, cut and decorate!
Easy Vegan Sugar Cookie Frosting
2 C. powdered sugar (use a vegan version if you can, they’re not all created equal)
1 Tb. non-dairy butter, softened (I use Earth Balance original or whipped)
1-2 Tb. non-dairy milk (I use vanilla almond milk), you may need more or less, depending on the consistency you desire*
1/2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
to make it chocolate: add 1 Tb. cocoa powder, unsweetened
1. In large bowl, add powdered sugar, then mix in the butter by hand with a large wooden spoon.
Stir in vanilla. Slowly add in the milk, 1 tablespoon at a time.
2. Continue to stir until completely smooth with no clumps. I like mine to be a bit thicker for easier spreading when using it for the sugar cookies. You could make it thinner and drizzle it on as well.
3. If you want it to be chocolatey, just stir in the cocoa powder!
4. Add sprinkles on top if you desire while the frosting is still wet. Let dry at room temperature and store in air-tight container, separating with waxed paper.
Don’t forget to check out Veggie Kids Shop for some great Holiday Gift items!
This recipe can also be seen on the Veggie Kids You Tube Channel.
Don’t forget to SUBSCRIBE to Veggie Kids!
look for this on the right side of the VK home page
You can also connect