If you’re a busy mom like me then you’re pressed for time and don’t like spending a ton of time in the kitchen. This is a super fast, go-to weeknight dish that your kids will love. I usually have to double the recipe for my hungry boys. If you have more time, marinate the tofu steaks in teriyaki sauce for about an hour or two before cooking. Hint: Trader Joe’s has the best Teriyaki and Soyaki sauces!
Now if you’re on the fence about soy, here’s my stance. We eat soy about once a week. I do think you can overdo it though because soy is an ingredient found in a lot of foods. The best thing you can do is inform yourself if you’re unsure about eating soy. (Here’s an interesting article on soy and the varying opinions of it.)
Personally, I like soy as a complete, plant-based protein that fills you up. And my boys love this recipe!
Grab the printable recipe below.
- 1 (12-14oz.) package extra-firm tofu, drained and pressed
- 1 tablespoon sunflower or coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons teriyaki sauce
- 1 stalk green onions, green parts only
- 1 tsp. sesame seeds
- optional: steamed broccoli florets
- Prepare tofu by draining and pressing excess liquid out.
- Cut into 1" blocks, then into triangles (fourths).
- Heat oil in a non-stick pan over medium heat. Add oil.
- Once hot, carefully add tofu triangles and heat for 5 minutes per side, then pour in teriyaki sauce and let saute an additional 3-4 minutes per side so the sauce caramelizes a bit.
- Transfer to plate and use kitchen scissors to cut ¼" or smaller pieces of green onion over the teriyaki tofu steaks. Sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- We like to add just steamed broccoli florets to this dish so it soaks up a little of that teriyaki sauce.
Eat Clean is a transformational 6-week online course that will help you and your family eat better. Learn more about it here. Course starts May 15th.
Let me know what you think in the comments below! And if you have a busy mom friend who you think can use this, please pass it along.
Be sure to sign up for my newsletter to stay in touch if you haven’t already! I’ll be sending out more information about the upcoming course along with lots of great recipes for your family.