Surviving Summer With Three Boys + Zucchini Soup
I anticipated summer coming quickly and knew it would take me a few days to adjust to our new unstructured routine. I love not having to pack lunches and shove everyone out the door on time. I love being with my Veggie Kids but honestly, having no plan is no good for us.
Summertime also means lots of juicing and eating the delectable fruits of the season. The more we juice and eat loads of healthy fruits and veggies the more energy they have meaning the louder this house gets and the wilder they play. They go to bed later and get up earlier. How is this possible!?
After Day 3 of no school I decided we needed a plan. We’ve created a Summer Bucket List, a Summer Reading List and a new Responsibility Chart. We’ve also incorporated lots-o-art along with lots-o-reading and LOTS-O-EATING! I think my Veggie Boys eat every 23 minutes…no lie.
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- ¾ C. Earth Balance butter
- 3-4 6" zucchini (about 1 lb.)
- sea salt to taste
- ground black pepper to taste
- 2.5 C. vegetable broth
- ½ C. soy creamer
- ⅛ tsp. fresh grated nutmeg
- Heat butter over medium heat in a large sauce pan. Add the onions and cook until the butter simmers (about 3 minutes).
- Prepare the zucchini by trimming off the ends. Chop into 1" chunks and add to the onion. Sprinkle in salt and pepper and cook over low-medium for about 7-8 minutes. Pour in the broth and stir in the cream and nutmeg.
- Use a hand-immersion blender to blend until smooth or transfer to a blender (you may have to do this in two parts) to blend completely. Serve warm with homemade croutons or toasted bread.