Talk about a side dish that stands out from the rest! This veggie-filled vegan dish is bursting with flavor. I like to make extra pesto to dollop on top like sour cream. Feel free to replace some of the basil with spinach and the pine nuts with walnuts.
Pesto Roasted Veggies
makes 6-8 servings
2 C. parsnips, peeled & cut into 1/2″ pieces
2 C. carrots, peeled & cut into 1/2″ pieces
2 C. sweet potatoes, peeled & cut into 1/2″ pieces
2 C. yellow potatoes, peeled & cut into 1/2″ pieces
1 red onion, diced
4-5 sprigs fresh thyme
1 Tb. extra-virgin olive oil
2 Tb. fresh lemon juice
1/2 tsp. sea salt
1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
For the Pesto:
2 C. fresh basil, packed lightly
1 C. pine nuts, raw
3 lemons, juiced
1 tsp. sea salt
1 tsp ground black pepper
5-6 garlic cloves
2-3 Tb. extra-virgin olive oil
1. Preheat oven to 400F.
2. Steam parsnips, carrots, sweet potatoes and yellow potatoes on the stove for 5-6 minutes. Do not fully cook.
3. In a small bowl, whisk together thyme, olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper.
4. Spread steamed veggies evenly onto a rimmed baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil mixture. Use your hands to toss, coating each piece. Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until browned on the edges.
5. Meanwhile, prepare pesto by combining basil, pine nuts, lemon juice, salt, pepper and garlic in a food processor. Pulse and blend for about 20 seconds, then drizzle in olive oil while the food processor is on. Scrape down the sides and process until completely smooth. Set aside.
6. Remove veggies from oven and toss with pesto sauce while warm. Serve immediately.
More Vegan Pesto Recipes to try!
FIND MORE VEGGIE KIDS BELOW!
Twitter: @VeggieKidsBlog https://twitter.com/
Facebook: @VeggieKids.Blogspot https://
Pinterest: @VeggieKids http://www.
Instagram: @VeggieKids http://extragr.am/
YouTube: @VeggieKidsBlogspot http://
Tumblr: @VeggieKids http://www.tumblr.